What is your landlord or letting agent responsible for?

by Ed Firmin

Posted on Friday, November 27th, 2015 at 10:00

Following on from my previous blog, it’s important that you also know what your landlord or letting agent is responsible for while you are renting their property. That way, you can be sure that they’re doing what they’re supposed to. Knowledge is power!

  • Your landlord is responsible for maintaining the property’s exterior and interior, including the pipes and drains etc.
  • He or she is also responsible for keeping the supply of water, gas, electricity and heat in working order, and any sanitation facilities such as the toilet, sinks, bath and shower, as well as any heating installations
  • They have to ensure that your gas supply and any appliances are safe, an approved engineer must carry out an annual check and you must be supplied with a copy of the certificate
  • Any electrical equipment that they supply, such as a microwave or kettle must be safe
  • Any furniture in the property must meet fire safety standards
  • They have to leave you in peace to get on with your life, unless there is a major emergency (such as a burst pipe or a fire, for example) for them to have to enter the property without your permission
  • Landlords or letting agents have to give you 24 hours’ notice to carry out repairs, or if they want to undertake an inspection of the property to ensure you are keeping it in a satisfactory condition
  • They have to protect your deposit in one of three Government approved schemes and let you know which one it is in
  • They have to give you their contact details, so that you can get hold of them to undertake repairs etc
  • Landlords have to ensure the property is supplied with smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors (where appliances like an Aga are being used)
  • If your rent is to be paid weekly, landlords have to provide you with a rent book
  • They have to provide you with an Energy Performance Certificate so you can see how energy efficient the property is

As you can see there are a lot of things that a landlord must adhere to, so it’s important you know your rights as a tenant, to ensure that your landlord or letting agent is being compliant. Forewarned is forearmed, you don’t want to be taken advantage of, so knowing what should be happening is vital to ensure your safety and to give you peace of mind.

Redlet is a member of the Homestamp housing accreditation scheme, which is a voluntary scheme in Canterbury ensuring that all student properties meet certain standards. The University of Kent and Canterbury Christchurch recommend that students only rent properties that are part of this scheme.

For more information about this scheme or any other questions you may have about renting a student property in Canterbury, please get in contact with me.

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




[recent_properties per_page="3" orderby="rand"]

We're open weekdays 9am to 5pm, call us on 01227 808534

Why not send us a message?

Redlet is a trading name of Redlet Property Management Limited, registered in England at Unit 19, Barton Business Park, New Dover Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3AA (number 07732224). Redlet are members of The Property Ombudsman and The Client Money Protection Scheme, there to protect your interests. We abide by the TPO code of conduct.

Copyright © 2019 Redlet.